Some homeowners with the available outdoor space make the decision to build their own outdoor tennis court. This isn’t a decision to be taken lightly, as building a tennis court is a huge undertaking, comparable to having an outdoor swimming pool installed. If you’re going to build an outdoor tennis court at your home, there’s going to be a number of basic items that you will need to get started. This article will go over the basic items and tennis equipment you need for a tennis court.
- The Court Surface: This might seem like the most obvious items of tennis court equipment, but one of the most important things you need for an outdoor tennis court is the court surface, and there are several options to choose from. There are four surface types you can choose from: clay, grass, artificial turf, and hard court. Any of these could be used for an outdoor tennis court.
- Outdoor Tennis Court Dividers: Another essential item you’ll need for an outdoor tennis court is what is known as outdoor tennis court dividers. These are barriers that can be put up to divide one tennis court from another. They can also be used as a form of fencing to separate the tennis court from the rest of the yard.
- Tennis Court Net and Tennis Court Net Posts: Another important item necessary for an outdoor tennis court is the tennis court net and the tennis court net posts. Without the net and the posts to hold it up, play is not possible, because playing tennis involves hitting the ball over the net in such a way that your opponent can’t hit it back.
- Fencing: If you don’t choose to use outdoor tennis court dividers, for example if you only have a single tennis court, then you would need to use fencing around the tennis court instead. There must be some barrier around the court to stop the ball from rolling off the court if a player misses and fencing can also prevent bystanders from being accidentally struck by the ball.
- Tennis Racquets and Tennis Balls: Of course no outdoor tennis court would be complete without tennis racquets and tennis balls. There should be at least one racquet for every potential player using the court, and ideally there should be at least two per player, just in case one gets broken or damaged during the game. Tennis balls can be purchased from any sporting goods store and a generous supply should be maintained since it’s easy for them to become damaged or impossible to use.
- Outdoor Benches: There’s one last piece of basic equipment that you should have for an outdoor tennis court and that’s at least one set of outdoor benches. These can be used for players to leave their things while they play some tennis, and it can also allow people to sit and watch the game while they wait for their turn.
In conclusion, there are a number of basic items you will need for an outdoor tennis court. These include the appropriate tennis court surface, outdoor tennis court dividers, the tennis court net and tennis court net posts, proper fencing, tennis racquets and tennis balls, and outdoor benches. There are, of course, more items that you could obtain for your tennis court, but with these basic items you will be able to have a fully-functioning tennis court that you can use to play and enjoy tennis.